HuggingChat pauses generation when you switch browser tabs

by digitalapps - opened

Not sure if this is a known issue but HuggingChat seems to pause generation when you switch browser tabs. It forces you to stay on the same browser tab when it's generating a response. Is this a bug?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's not quite paused but very much slowed down.
The thing is that they have some awful tangled JS mess that presents tokens as if they're streaming in despite all of the tokens already having been quickly streamed in and residing in the buffer. It's just a cosmetic trick that has a costly performance requirement of the tab. And it gets much, much worse in long chats, which is a horrendous bug as presentation doesn't need to have anything to do with previous messages. Modern browsers slow down JS execution of inactive tabs and given the performance requirement of this JS mess — it must be slowing down to a crawl.

Usually, this type of bug is dismissed and never fixed in many projects, prioritizing users who use the service in the most basic of ways.

I mean depending which browser you're using, the tab might go to sleep. No performance issues to report from me.

Hugging Chat org

Hi! I deployed some changes, could you tell me if this is still an issue ?

Hi! I deployed some changes, could you tell me if this is still an issue ?

Yes still the same, I can upload a video if you'd like.

I notice a change at this time. It does stream in the background now.

But I can't say this is a change for the better, as it now seems to push tokens in larger batches (I assume adjusting batch size dynamically) but ends up putting the JS engine to a deeper, longer sleep each batch.
It's making the very act of switching tabs (with a keyboard shortcut, handled through the page before it's passed through to the browser) — a horrendous bother, taking seconds to respond at times.

Granted, this does seem to technically fix background streaming. But absolutely does not make me want to use streaming still.

Not putting the entire tab to sleep for each batch would be a good next step, localizing the idling behavior to only the pertinent component of the document.

I'm using Chrome and it still doesn't stream in the background.

Chromium-based Vivaldi here. Our experiences shouldn't be all that different, but I guess Chrome does have its share of first-party dubious design decisions by Google, so perhaps…

It's streaming in the background now, thank you :)

digitalapps changed discussion status to closed